A PhiX validation run confirms proper hardware and software
performance of the instrument. The Illumina PhiX control library is a
well-balanced genome with relatively equal representation of A, T, G,
and C nucleotides. PhiX lacks an index and is not an appropriate tool
for assessing Index Read performance.
To set up a PhiX validation run on the iSeq, MiniSeq, or MiSeq
systems using the on-instrument-installed Local Run Manager software:
- Launch the Chromium browser and enter http://localhost in the
address bar. If User Management is enabled, the login page will
appear, requiring you to enter the user ID and password.
- Select Create Run, and choose
Resequencing from the drop-down list.
- Enter the following values in the highlighted
Run Name: PhiX validation run
Library Prep Kit: TruSeq LT
Index Reads: 0 (Note: PhiX is unindexed and selecting 1
or 2 index reads can cause the run to terminate
Read Type: Paired End
Read Length: Enter at least 26 cycles for each read
- Keep default values in the Module-Specific
- Scroll to the bottom of the Create Run page. In
the Import Samples table, type PhiX in the Sample ID
- In the Genome Folder field, select PhiX from
the species column.
- Select Save Run.
Close the browser window and return to the MiniSeq Control
- Select PhiX validation run from the
available runs list and proceed to sequencing.
information on preparing PhiX libraries for sequencing on the
MiniSeq & MiSeq platforms, consult the MiniSeq
System Denature and Dilute Libraries Guide and the MiSeq
System Denature and Dilute Libraries Guide.